The earthquake that hit Port-au-Prince last night was devastating. New Yorkers who want to contribute to the relief efforts getting underway can follow the web sites below for ways to help.
- Press Release: Statement of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on this Evening’s Earthquake in Haiti
Points those wishing to donate to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City.
- NPR News Blog: The Two-Way
Lists web sites, including that of MercyCorps, a well-known international relief agency. Provides updates and reports as well.
- The Lede: Haiti Disaster Relief: How to Contribute
The New York Times news blog provides an alphabetical listing of relief agencies for donors to learn about and assist.
- UNICEF urgently appeals for aid for Haiti
The U.S. Fund for UNICEF is making an urgent appeal for donations; you will find contact and other information in this press release.
- Oxfam America
Long-standing poverty fighting agency has posted donation portal to support its relief efforts.
- Charity Navigator: 7.0 Earthquake Hits Haiti
Lists relief agencies responding to the disaster and points to guides on wise donating during times of crisis.
- Global Giving: Haiti Earthquake Relief
Describes projects providing assistance in Haiti to which people can make tax-deductible donations.
- Sources of Information: How to Decide Where to Give to Aid Haiti
The Chronicle of Philanthropy provides a listing of information sources and relief agencies.
- ActionAid Haiti
A member of ActionAid International, this organization was already providing support in Haiti when the earthquake hit. ActionAid was able to respond immediately to the disaster, and is currently providing both immediate and long-term relief.
- CNN Report: Haiti Faces Devastation: How you can help
Includes breaking news and resources.
- U.S. Department of State: Earthquake in Haiti
Lists telephone number to call to get help locating family members: 1-888-407-4747. Also lists relief agencies and has posted a donation option via texting.
- Foundation Center: Map of International Grants
This grants mapping tool identifies U.S. Foundations currently supporting Haiti.
- Consulate General of Haiti in New York
Provides a list of Haitian organizations and community centers in the metropolitan area.
- Embassy of Haiti
Provides press releases and contact information.
- Global Voices: Haiti Earthquake 2010
"Global Voices aggregates, curates, and amplifies the global conversation online": Currently posting tweets and photos from Port-au-Prince.
- Victoria Fine: Haiti Earthquake Relief: How You Can Help (Huffington Post)
- Laura Starita: Advice for Donors to Haiti (Philanthropy Action News)
- Tips for Giving in Times of Crisis (Charity Navigator)
- Giving in Times of Disasters (Charities Review Council)
- Guidelines on the Most Appropriate Ways to Help (InterAction)
- Haiti (Tales from the Hood)
- Choosing organizations to donate to after the Haiti earthquake (Good Intentions Are Not Good Enough)
- Haiti Earthquake: Help Navigating Complex Terrain of Disaster Relief (AID WATCH)
Advice to Donors